Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Praying for Ice

One of my coworkers, a social worker
who pulled weekend duty this past week,
on his 8th consecutive day of work
was standing in the office
praying for a good ice storm.

Something to keep us all tucked away at home
for a day, just a day.

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

The weather people on TV
keep predicting ice,
and it keeps freezing
all the counties around us.

I know it is selfish.

I know I'll sing a different tune
if the ice knocks the power out.

I know it would be a hardship
for those who must get from place to place,
and for many who stay home.

Still. A day off.
Kids sledding
down the sheet of ice that
was and is and will be the street.

A day at home.

Oh, well. It will come
when least convenient.



My niece and nephews have had their first deep snow of the year.

No comments: