Friday, March 10, 2006

Things Break

When I was in the angst filled years of seminary
I threw my Greek textbook across my bedroom
one frustrated, angry evening.
The binding broke, and I despaired.
It only added to my frustration to break
a perfectly good book.
(I'm a 5 on the Enneagram...
I'm all about the books.)

The next day my gentle and wise advisor,
hearing my tale of fury and breakage,
nodded sagely and simply said,
"Things break."

That phrase has stuck with me
in the years since.

Tonight's breakage...

34 computer files infected with a virus.

Two salad plates and at least two bowls,
knocked off the "about to be washed" pile
into the kitchen floor,
by the younger cat, Daisy.

The Greek book is still on my shelf.
The computer files were deleted.
The bowls, shattered, were thrown away.
The salad plates, chipped, were set to one side,
with thoughts of putting them under potted plants.

Things break.

No comments: