Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Year of Intentional Living

Call it a midlife crisis,
call it what you will,
I am shaking out the dust
and looking closely at who I am
and where I'm going.

Today's thoughts on the matter:

1) I like my job. In fact, I love my job.
If I were looking for a job today,
I would want this one.

2) It is time to decide
my denominational affiliation anew.
Do I stay United Methodist,
and keep to my roots,
my lifelong family of faith,
my theological heritage--
or is my current affiliation
with the United Church of Christ
more than just my local church?

3) I need to differentiate
my spiritual challenges and tasks
from that of my client base.
I am not an 80 (90, 100) year old woman
with less than six months to live.
One day, God willing, I might be.
But for now...in my own personal,
outside of work life....
I am at a different stage of life.
I need to figure out
what people my age
are supposed to be doing.

4) I need to connect with these women
in my church and circle of friends--
who are also feeling a stirring,
a need to stop and take account,
a need to live intentionally--
and we need to have lunch
and talk these things out.
Our midlife challenges are very different,
I can tell this already.
But how much more
productive and fun
to share them together.

5) I need to paint,
write,
play,
hike,
photograph,
think,
play,
blog
MORE.

So, friends,
how goes your living?

1 comment:

spark said...

Is it lunchtime yet?