Friday, May 05, 2006

Materialism and Murder

Sooooo grateful to be home
and in jeans
at the end of a long day, long week.

The gentle rain outside is great for the garden,
but not so good for working in the garden,
which is just as well,
because I'm tired.

Will noodle around the house,
work on continuing the rearranging
and decluttering (my resolution from January).

Play a little mandolin,
get ready to teach Sparky about Acts in Sunday School.

I'm broadcasting my interest in a piano...
had a close call at work.
Mentioned I was wanting a piano
and got a lead
and called soon after another coworker
bought the piano for a grandchild.

Still...you never know.
I'll keep asking around.
My piano is out there somewhere.

Other than the rather large item
of a piano and the rather small
packet of corn seeds for the garden,
I am trying to not bring any more treasures
into the house.

What an oddly priviledged life,
when one has to work
at stirring around in the clutter
of books and papers and belongings,
and has to make an effort
not to make impulse buys--
because my basic needs are met
and I lack the edge of hunger
to keep me focused on the needs of others.

Today I sat in the nursing home
with one of my delightful ladies
who told me her life story
as people murdered each other
on her television set
on what we would consider
G-rated, midday shows.

What kind of culture is this?
Materialism, murder and mayhem.

The American way.

1 comment:

spark said...

Won't make it this week--see blog. Lemme know what I miss.
C.