Sunday, July 02, 2006

Always Use an Antecedent

The end of our mile and a half hike
on the Bright Angel Trail
was marked by a small restroom,
very conveniently placed.
It was here that we turned around
to head back up to the rim of the Grand Canyon.
Before we turned around, I looked at the beautiful view,
handed off my camera,
pointed vaguely toward a beautiful rock formation,
and said, "Take my picture in front of that."
After some general counting and smiling,
I took back the digital camera
and looked at the picture.
"What? That's me in front of the restroom."
"Uh huh."
"I wanted my picture in front of the rock formation."
"I thought you wanted it in front of the restroom."
"Why would I want my picture in front of a restroom?"
"Oh, I thought you wanted proof you made it
the whole mile and a half."
I pointed more specifically
and used clearer descriptions
before we took the picture again.

2 comments:

Chapeltree said...

Well, it is a tad dark and back lit.

Other than that...

spark said...

Hooray for digital cameras. You can (almost) always get the picture you intended . . . eventually.