Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sunday, Church Day

Cathedral in Cuzco, Peru...1996
We started back Sunday School for the fall today.
Had bright smiling faces in the adult class I teach.
Some know far more than me,
others find the Bible a strange and alien book.
Never know who is going to show up in class.
They keep me on my toes, this lot.
Sometimes I teach, sometimes I learn,
sometimes I just keep the ball rolling.
Today, like a children's class,
we began to learn a song that lists
the books of the Bible.
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers....

We're reading Joshua right now.
Holy War, invading and killing in the name of God.
Difficult material...especially
since we tend towards being a peace church.
But you can't skip it and pretend it's not there.
For one thing, humanity continues to wage war
in the name of belief and religion.
More than that...in the name of God.
So, we read and discuss...
and try to figure out
how to interpret...what to follow....
and how to be human,
violent, selfish and fearful...
and yet capable of great compassion,
great faith, great generosity.
Be strong and courageous.

No comments: