Tuesday, November 01, 2005

On Turning 39

I've always liked numbers divisible by three.
They seemed magical to me
when I was a child learning math.
Add the digits together
and divide by three...
So...one thousand two hundred and forty five
leads us to add: one plus two plus four plus five
which equals twelve.
Twelve is divisible by three...
and so we know that one thousand two hundred and forty five
is divisible by three.
Thirty nine--
a number elegant in its threeness.
Three and three times three...
Not a bad place to be in life, either.
Old enough to have a few grains of wisdom
and young enough that
my bones and joints and innards
and my basic mental cogs
still usually function.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Three is a magical number. In some circles, '9' is very powerful since it is 3 - 3s...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I'll try to call you later!!!!