Saturday, March 18, 2006

Breaking Ground

Today we went out
and turned the ground,
hoed and tilled
and planted.

Peas, turnip greens,
spinach, brussel sprouts,
salad greens.

The wild chive crop
was all around us
in the garden
and waving in the breeze
across the yard.

The grandchildren
of the cilantro plant
I planted two years ago
are taking up the whole
end of a raised bed.
Yummy.
A real self starter,
that cilantro.

Meanwhile, the pansies
and grape hyacinth
and forsythia are blooming.

The iris are sending up green shoots.

The trees in the neighborhood
are blooming with enthusiasm.

No signs of life yet
from the asparagus bed.

My back is very tired,
but I feel great
after an afternoon
of manual labor.

Nothing better than
food right from the garden.

Tomorrow, if I have time,
I'll take some pictures.

No comments: