Sunday, March 19, 2006

Swimming in the Shallow End

Inspired by Spark,
today I started to write a book.
I talked about it over Sunday lunch,
then came home and wrote a couple pages.
After two pages,
I worried out loud to my lunch companion,
"I think I'm writing a Christian Self-Help book."
She assured me,
"You ARE writing a Christian Self-Help book."
Egads. How cheesy.
It reads cheesily, too.
This is generally the part
where I erase the two pages,
step away from the computer,
and try to forget the whole thing.
But here's the rub...
the two pages I wrote
are about the simple fact
that most dreams get derailed
by intimidation.
So maybe,
in my spare time,
I'll write a really cheesy
Christian self-help book.
I'll see if it helps myself
write it.
If it helps me
write itself
maybe it really is
helpful.

2 comments:

spark said...

You inspired me to blog, now I in turn inspire you. It's a very proactive game we're playing.

Personally, I like cheese.

Chapeltree said...

Maybe writing is like acting. You have to go through your B-movie, ketchup blood horror flick phase before you can grow up to win Oscars. Perhaps cheesy @#$% is road to fine literature.