Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Calming Influence of Lent

After spending several days
working up a head of steam
for my midlife crisis,
I'm finding myself calm
and content.

After preaching Ash Wednesday service
last night at church
and preaching a Memorial service
at a skilled nursing facility today,
I'm feeling back in balance.

I did figure some things out.
I need to do some intellectually stimulating
sorts of activities in the evenings
after spending quiet days
crooning hymns to demented old women.
I must keep my brain clicking
lest it leak slowly out my ears.

I need to work some artistic expression
into my days as well.

I want to buy a piano.
I think that would both fire some pistons
in my brain
and eventually,
with practice,
qualify as artistic expression.

On the whole,
life is pretty good.

I really like Lent.
I like the dark, the quiet,
the melancholy music.

I like the focus on contemplation,
on getting back to the basics,
on getting off our own
personal glory trains
and turning back to grace.

I like it when the church calendar
fits my own broody mood,
when suddenly I'm in step
with the season.

Peace.

1 comment:

spark said...

Sorry to miss the sermon. Hooray for your peace. I miss the pictures.