Saturday, May 13, 2006

Monster Blocks, II

Before you get too excited,
I need to tell you that Monster Blocks
(from Moodology 101)
are currently unavailable in stores,
or on the internet, or ANYWHERE.

So...this is not an advertisement
or a product placement.
Just a commentary.

My nephew, Mason, received two barrels
of Monster Blocks for his second birthday.
They are like giant legos with googly eyes.

Turns out, two year olds dig Monster Blocks.
Seven year olds dig Monster Blocks.

And when the children go to bed,
the thirty-nine year olds
just can't keep their hands off the Monster Blocks.
There is some deep satisfaction
of the snug click that accompanies
the assembly of various googly eyed monsters.

As you can probably tell,
I went shopping after I got home
to no avail.
Mostly I was shopping for presents for other children.
Mostly.

Despite my recent campaign or crusade
against materialism,
against the accumulation of stuff
in corners, in piles, in drawers, everywhere,
I do still believe in the simple satisfactions
of play.

You are never too old to play.

No comments: