Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wiser

I was thinking
as I drove home
in two laned traffic
putting along at 5 miles per hour...
about all the things I KNEW in high school.

I was a bright kid
who knew math and science
and history and literature.

Well rounded academically
and I scored well on those blasted standardized tests.

No social skills, but many marbles in my head.

In college I jumped off the academic track
and coasted in non-challenging yet interesting classes
and worked on figuring out a few social skills.

Seminary, for all its academic challenge
was still much more about learning who I was
and how to live in the world.

These days, all that science and math from high school
seem but a distant, vague memory.

I remember knowing things
but I don't know them any more.

Funny thing,
I'm a lot happier than I was in high school.

The people I visit
demonstrate to me
that in a few years
I will know far less
than I know now.

It is the natural progression of life.

As time goes on,
I only ask to remember these things:
kindness,
gratitude,
contentment,
generousity,
humor,
compassion,
and a sense of the divine holding the world gently.

No comments: