Sunday, March 11, 2007

Walter



On Thursday I moseyed by the Humane Society
to say hello to the kitties there.
I had in mind a young female cat,
to fill out the household
and keep Daisy the Destroyer company.
Things don't always turn out the way we plan.
The girl kitties were there in abundance,
sleeping off a hard night in the back of their cages.
This little man was wide awake,
greeting us as we entered,
talking to us throughout our visit.
After holding a pleasant
but largely unconscious little girl named Lucy,
I caved in to the flirting pressure
exuded by this boy named, for the moment, B.C.
B.C. snuggled into my arms
and purred mightily.
Sighing, I turned to the staff person.
"Wrap him up. I'll take him."
It took B.C. a few hours to tell us his real name,
but after reading the names of authors
off every book in the house,
Walter Wink rose to the top and stuck.
When asked, "is your name Walter?"
he climbed up in my lap and rubbed against my face.
Daisy is discombobulated by the new addition.
She growls, she lurks, she hides, she hisses.
She watches Walter very carefully,
and avoids him when she can.
These things take time.
Pictures fall short of the full effect of the loud growls issuing forth at the time of this photo.


1 comment:

Stephen said...

Walter is very handsome! Daisy doesn't look too pleased, does she?